Gospel
Luke 10:17-24
Rejoice that your names are written in heaven
The seventy-two came back rejoicing. ‘Lord,’ they said ‘even the devils submit to us when we use your name.’ He said to them, ‘I watched Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Yes, I have given you power to tread underfoot serpents and scorpions and the whole strength of the enemy; nothing shall ever hurt you. Yet do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you; rejoice rather that your names are written in heaven.’
It was then that, filled with joy by the Holy Spirit, he said:
‘I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to mere children. Yes, Father, for that is what it pleased you to do. Everything has been entrusted to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.’
Then turning to his disciples he spoke to them in private, ‘Happy the eyes that see what you see, for I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see, and never saw it; to hear what you hear, and never heard it.’
Reflection
Jesus invites us to look beyond immediate successes. While the seventy-two rejoiced in their authority over evil, Jesus reoriented their hearts toward eternal belonging. Our greatest pride shouldn’t be in what we achieve for God, but in the fact that we are known by Him. He reveals His mysteries to the "little ones"—those who approach Him with childlike trust. We are privileged to see and hear the truths of His kingdom, a grace that transforms our identity forever.
Question for Reflection
Am I finding my deepest identity and joy in my personal accomplishments and skills, or in the simple, profound truth that I am a beloved child of God whose name is written in heaven?
Prayer
Lord Jesus, thank You for the gift of belonging to Your kingdom. Help me to serve with humility and to find my ultimate joy in You alone. Grant me a childlike heart, open to the mysteries You reveal, and keep me secure in the knowledge that I am Yours. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment