Skip to main content

The Lamb of God


Gospel
John 1:29-34
'Look: there is the Lamb of God'

Seeing Jesus coming towards him, John said, ‘Look, there is the lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world. This is the one I spoke of when I said: A man is coming after me who ranks before me because he existed before me. I did not know him myself, and yet it was to reveal him to Israel that I came baptising with water.’ John also declared, ‘I saw the Spirit coming down on him from heaven like a dove and resting on him. I did not know him myself, but he who sent me to baptise with water had said to me, “The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and rest is the one who is going to baptise with the Holy Spirit.” Yes, I have seen and I am the witness that he is the Chosen One of God.’

Short Reflection

John the Baptist’s proclamation, “Look, there is the Lamb of God,” shifts attention entirely away from himself and toward Jesus. He acknowledges Jesus as both the sacrifice who takes away the world’s sin and the one who existed before him — pointing to Christ’s eternal nature. John’s role was to prepare the way, yet he himself needed a divine sign — the Spirit descending like a dove — to fully recognize the Messiah. This reminds us that true witness comes not from our own wisdom, but from revelation and obedience to God’s guidance. Jesus does not just offer ritual cleansing with water; He baptizes with the Holy Spirit, bringing transformation from within. Like John, we are called to point away from ourselves to Christ, trusting in God’s way of revealing truth and power.

---

Question for Reflection

In my own life, am I more focused on preparing the way for others to encounter Jesus, or do I sometimes draw attention to my own role or understanding? How can I cultivate the humility and attentiveness John showed, pointing to Christ rather than to myself?

---

Short Prayer

Lord Jesus, Lamb of God,
you take away the sin of the world.
Open my eyes to see you more clearly,
and give me a heart like John’s —
humble, obedient, and eager to point others to you.
May your Holy Spirit rest upon me
and work through me,
that I may bear witness to you,
the Chosen One of God.
Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The kingdom of God is among us

Gospel Luke 17:20-25 The kingdom of God is among you Asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was to come, Jesus gave them this answer, ‘The coming of the kingdom of God does not admit of observation and there will be no one to say, “Look here! Look there!” For, you must know, the kingdom of God is among you.’     He said to the disciples, ‘A time will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man and will not see it. They will say to you, “Look there!” or, “Look here!” Make no move; do not set off in pursuit; for as the lightning flashing from one part of heaven lights up the other, so will be the Son of Man when his day comes. But first he must suffer grievously and be rejected by this generation.’ Short Reflection In this passage, Jesus redirects a fundamental human and religious question: "When?" The Pharisees are looking for a timetable, a visible political or cosmic event. Jesus' answer is startling. He says the Kingdom of God is...

17 The Rich Man

Gospel Matthew 19:16-22 If you wish to be perfect, go and sell what you own There was a man who came to Jesus and asked, ‘Master, what good deed must I do to possess eternal life?’ Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you ask me about what is good? There is one alone who is good. But if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said, ‘Which?’ ‘These:’ Jesus replied ‘You must not kill. You must not commit adultery. You must not bring false witness. Honour your father and mother, and: you must love your neighbour as yourself.’ The young man said to him, ‘I have kept all these. What more do I need to do?’ Jesus said, ‘If you wish to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ But when the young man heard these words he went away sad, for he was a man of great wealth.  Reflection This passage challenges us to look beyond mere religious compliance. The young man lived a moral life, yet ...

No respect for Christ or John

Gospel Matthew 11:16-19 They heed neither John nor the Son of Man Jesus spoke to the crowds: ‘What description can I find for this generation? It is like children shouting to each other as they sit in the market place: “We played the pipes for you, and you wouldn’t dance; we sang dirges, and you wouldn’t be mourners.” ‘For John came, neither eating nor drinking, and they say, “He is possessed.” The Son of Man came, eating and drinking, and they say, “Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.” Yet wisdom has been proved right by her actions.’ Short Reflection Jesus paints a picture of a generation that refuses to be pleased, not because the message is flawed, but because their hearts are closed. They found fault with John the Baptist's asceticism, calling him possessed, and they find fault with Jesus' approachability, calling him a glutton. The problem is not the style of the messenger, but the unwillingness of the audience to respond to...