August 8
Gospel
Matthew 17:14-20
If your faith were the size of a mustard seed, the mountain would move
A man came up to Jesus and went down on his knees before him. ‘Lord,’ he said ‘take pity on my son: he is a lunatic and in a wretched state; he is always falling into the fire or into the water. I took him to your disciples and they were unable to cure him.’ ‘Faithless and perverse generation!’ Jesus said in reply ‘How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him here to me.’ And when Jesus rebuked it the devil came out of the boy who was cured from that moment.
Then the disciples came privately to Jesus. ‘Why were we unable to cast it out?’ they asked. He answered, ‘Because you have little faith. I tell you solemnly, if your faith were the size of a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it would move; nothing would be impossible for you.’
Reflection:
In this Gospel, a desperate father brings his suffering son to Jesus after the disciples fail to heal him. Jesus responds by pointing to the root of the problem—lack of faith. Even a small, sincere faith, like a mustard seed, has the power to bring about what seems impossible. This passage reminds us that the effectiveness of our actions is not based on human strength, but on trust in God. When we truly believe, we allow God to work powerfully through even our smallest efforts.
Reflection Question:
Where in my life am I relying more on my own strength instead of trusting fully in God’s power?
Short Prayer:
Lord Jesus, increase my faith. Even when my faith feels small, help me to trust in Your unlimited power. Teach me to bring all my struggles to You and believe that nothing is impossible with You. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment