Gospel
Luke 11:15-26
The finger of God has overtaken you
When Jesus had cast out a devil, some of the people said, ‘It is through Beelzebul, the prince of devils, that he casts out devils.’ Others asked him, as a test, for a sign from heaven; but, knowing what they were thinking, he said to them, ‘Every kingdom divided against itself is heading for ruin, and a household divided against itself collapses. So too with Satan: if he is divided against himself, how can his kingdom stand? – since you assert that it is through Beelzebul that I cast out devils. Now if it is through Beelzebul that I cast out devils, through whom do your own experts cast them out? Let them be your judges then. But if it is through the finger of God that I cast out devils, then know that the kingdom of God has overtaken you. So long as a strong man fully armed guards his own palace, his goods are undisturbed; but when someone stronger than he is attacks and defeats him, the stronger man takes away all the weapons he relied on and shares out his spoil.
‘He who is not with me is against me; and he who does not gather with me scatters.
‘When an unclean spirit goes out of a man it wanders through waterless country looking for a place to rest, and not finding one it says, “I will go back to the home I came from.” But on arrival, finding it swept and tidied, it then goes off and brings seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and set up house there, so that the man ends up by being worse than he was before.’
Reflection
Jesus reveals His authority through the "finger of God," proving the Kingdom’s arrival. As the "stronger man," He conquers evil, yet He warns us against spiritual complacency. It is not enough to simply purge our lives of sin; we must actively fill that space with His Spirit. Without a total commitment to Christ, we remain vulnerable to the return of darkness. True spiritual security is found only in active communion with the One who has already defeated the enemy. May our hearts be fully occupied by Him.
Reflection Question
What "empty rooms" in my heart do I need to intentionally fill with the Holy Spirit today to ensure there is no space for old habits or darkness to return?
Prayer
Lord Jesus, You are the Stronger Man who has triumphed over the power of evil. I surrender my heart to You completely. Do not let me be merely "swept clean" and empty, but fill every corner of my life with Your presence. Keep me always on Your side, gathering with You, so that I may live securely in Your Kingdom. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment